University photographers are working remotely and not currently taking photographs. We provide images for download or from our vast collection in our Digital Asset Management system (Widen) and other sources. Contact Don Henderson with your photography needs during this time. Our multimedia team produces video content for the Office of University Communications channels and partners with Awesome Films to provides video consulting, recording and editing services that promote the University’s reputation. To work with Awesome Films, please submit a marketing project request.
Communications are increasingly visual. As the University of Pittsburgh competes for the attention and support of prospective students, faculty, staff, alumni, funding and fundraising, strong visual content drives people to notice Pitt. Compelling photography that tells a story helps the University to differentiate and promote its brand.
Our Visual Services team provides photography, videography, editing, digital asset management and images. Photography is primarily driven by on-location imagery that helps to tell Pitt stories. We prioritize strategic visual content for key units—the Office of the Chancellor, Office of the Provost and others—that are critical to meeting Pitt's strategic mission.
To request a photoshoot, use our online forms for studio portraits or on-location photography. Please do NOT use these forms to ask questions or inquire about photographer availability. Instead, please email questions and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Michele Denson at 412-648-9870.
Note: If you need a photographer within 48 hours, please call Michelle Denson at 412-648-9870.
All photos will be delivered to your Pitt Box account.
Please consider the following when requesting our services:
- Why is photography needed and how will it be used strategically?
- Is the photo newsworthy to the news media?
- How can the subject be photographed to yield the strongest impact? For example, a photograph of a professor working on a research project has greater potential for use than a photo of the professor being recognized at an awards ceremony.
- Is there potential to amplify the photo through additional use, such as social media, news releases, web, magazine, newspaper, interior display, etc.?
- How does the photo project support Pitt's strategic goals and initiatives?
- How will the photography align with the University Brand Guidelines?
Visual Services does not support the following requests but encourages you to book an approved freelance photographer. Please contact the freelancer directly for availability and pricing.
- Photos for a department's personal use in memory albums or scrapbooks.
- Requests for which a majority of photos will not be used in a publication and/or media placement.
- Photos intended as gifts or mementos.
- Photos for student organizations.
We also maintain an archive of photographic images, including a selection of high-resolution stock photos of Pitt leaders and landmark buildings available for download.